Science Olympiad Coordinator
The Science Olympiad Coordinator is responsible for coordination of the Science Olympiad Program for three middle schools and two high schools within the Carlsbad Unified School District. This position includes organizing, tracking, planning, and keeping all relevant parties at CEF and our school partners informed throughout the season. Preparation with students, coaches, and volunteers will ultimately culminate in a regional competition. All position responsibilities must be performed in accordance with city, state, federal and Company policy.
SCIENCE OLYMPIAD COORDINATOR DUTIES
- Primary contact for CEF related to the Science Olympiad Program.
- Serve as communication liaison between coaches, teachers, parents, volunteers, participants, and regional program staff.
- Attend or ensure representation at open houses at middle schools, and coordinate with HS club representatives for events on campus.
- Recruit coaches for each event prior to the season start.
- Host information session(s) prior to season start.
- Coordinate up to 6 teams per school site alongside school partners.
- Oversee event registration and team placements for registered students.
- Coordinate expenses and manage program budget.
- Facilitate weekly classes and events; manage sign-in sheets/attendance records.
- Gather and disseminate rules and guidelines for events.
- Attend Science Olympiad regional meetings and competitions.
- Oversee planning of regional competition, including logistics, transportation, etc.
- Monitor and replenish supplies when needed.
- Keep Science Olympiad space(s) clean and organized.
- Serve as Manager on Duty while on campus with students.
- Other work duties as assigned by management.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma.
- Experience with youth in an educational environment.
- Experience with Science Olympiad program preferred.
- Experience in the STEM field is highly preferable.
- Criminal Record Certification.
- Child Abuse Index Check.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Basic computer skills, including Internet use, E-mail, and typing skills.
- Working knowledge of communication systems such as telephone, facsimile, and printing systems.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Google Drive.
Skills and Abilities:
- Complete complex assignments and multiple responsibilities.
- Prioritize work, solve problems, and operate under time and work volume pressure.
- Demonstrate effective written, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Professional, outgoing, and a team player.
- Exhibit outstanding customer service to students, parents, and staff members.
Hours fluctuate based on Science Olympiad needs. An average schedule may look like the following:
- Summer 0-5 hours per week
- Fall, Winter, and Spring 5-15 hours per week
- Potential increase in hours at season beginning and end
Administrative work can be done remotely or in the office. Student oversite will take place onsite at Viasat's campus in Carlsbad or at various competition sites.