Science Lab Teaching Assistant (Part-Time)
The Carlsbad Educational Foundation is looking to hire an organized, safety-oriented individual to work closely with high school science teachers and students in the laboratory.
The Science Lab Teaching Assistant performs a variety of duties to support high school science teachers and students in assigned science classrooms and laboratories. This position will assist in the setting up and clearing away of science laboratory supplies and equipment, and provide support in the maintenance, storage, and ordering of science laboratory equipment.
Our mission is to invest in our children’s future success through education for all students in the Carlsbad Unified School District by developing and funding impactful programs.
THE LAB TEACHING ASSISTANT KEY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work closely with high school students under the direction and support of the teacher to complete classroom assignments and labs.
- Assist students in the proper usage of laboratory materials, supplies and equipment.
- Track laboratories scheduled by teachers for class use.
- Inspect, maintain, calibrate, clean and ensure proper storage of science laboratory equipment.
- Organize, maintain and stock laboratory storage rooms; maintain inventory of science equipment and supplies, and maintain records of materials and equipment for order and repair.
- Notify the teacher when new supplies and equipment are needed.
- Review and consult material safety data sheets; maintain files pertaining to science laboratory material, safety data sheets, and equipment safety related information; conduct research and make calls regarding science laboratory material and equipment safety procedures and usage.
- Prepare chemicals and solutions for use during classroom and laboratory activities and assist students during the cleaning of chemical splashes or spills.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
- Proper use and maintenance of common laboratory materials, equipment, chemicals and supplies.
- Science classroom and laboratory terminology, practices and activities.
- Maintenance and calibration of laboratory equipment.
- Common safety procedures used in the laboratory.
- Practices and procedures used in the safe storage of chemicals and equipment.
- Inventory control techniques, practices, methods and systems.
- Microsoft software applications, including word processing, spreadsheets and databases.
- Record keeping techniques.
- Basic arithmetic principals.
- Common chemicals used in high school-level science laboratory demonstrations and experiments.
- Utilize and demonstrate safe operation of science laboratory equipment, supplies and chemicals.
- Read, interpret and apply written safety warnings, appropriate procedures and information contained within Material Safety Data Sheets.
- Organize and set priorities.
- Effectively convey complex and technical information to students.
- Write routine correspondence and reports.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with students and teachers.
Carlsbad Educational Foundation is proud of our diversity, and we do not discriminate against employees or applicants based on how they wear their hair, or any other personal attribute. Please promptly speak with the CEO, if you have any questions regarding this information. We welcome your inquiries